- At Wren Hospice our patients and the families of our patients always come first.
- Admission can happen within two hours of the doctor’s order, receipt of required paperwork and with patient/family consent.
- Wren Hospice does not require that our patients sign a DNR. We always honor patient choice.
- Our nurses are on call and always available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
- We always communicate with the physician and family regarding the patient’s progress of care in the manner they choose.
- We provide our families with Respite Care services so that they can go on vacations or simply take time to recharge.
- Our Medical/Director Nurse Practitioner visits patients wherever they live- Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing Facilities, Senior Housing, home, etc.
- As part of hospice care our patients can receive Registered Nursing services, Certified Nursing Assistant services, Social Work services, Spiritual Care Services, needed medical equipment, and supplies at no cost.
- Our services are covered 100% by Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurance plans.
- We always believe in family empowerment through education.
- Our Medical Director or Nurse Practitioner assesses each new patient at admission and validates continued hospice services are needed at each recertification period. In addition, our Nurse Practitioner makes visits to see patients when a medical need arises.
- Bereavement is provided for the surviving family members for no less than 13 months after the patients’ passing.
Meet Our Team
Dr. Steven Freeman
Dr. Steven Freeman serves on our team as the medical director covering the 13 counties we serve. Dr. Freeman is a graduate of Clemson University with a Bachelors Degree in Microbiology as well as a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Microbiology. He later graduated from the University of South Carolina School of Medicine as a Doctor of Medicine (MD). Dr. Freeman practices Internal Medicine in Easley at his practice, Adult Medicine Specialist of Easley. He has served in various roles at Baptist Easley Hospital including Chairman of the Department of Medicine.
He and his wife reside in Easley. In his spare time, Dr. Freeman enjoys photography, astronomy and collecting fountain pens.
Dr. Heather Shippey
Dr. Heather Shippey grew up in Charlotte, NC. She attended Davidson College for her undergraduate studies and earned a degree in history. She attended Medical School at MUSC in Charleston and did her residency training in Internal Medicine in Norfolk, Virginia.
Dr. Shippey received her Hospice and Palliative Care training in Honolulu, Hawaii, where she obtained both inpatient and outpatient experience.
Dr. Shippey is Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Care.
Dr. Heather Shippey has been married for 25 years with two sons, a dog and a cat. Her interest include travel and puzzles.
Dr. Glenn Scott
Dr Glen Scott is originally from Pennsylvania. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in engineering at The Pennsylvania State University as well as a Master’s Degree in Management Science Operations Research from Temple University. His early career was in business and engineering before he made a career change and entered medical school at The Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine followed by a residency in Neurology at The Medical College of Georgia. He and his wife have made the upstate home for the past twenty years, her teaching at Clemson and him practicing in Abbeville. Outside interests include fly fishing, hiking and just being out in nature.
Alyson Lerstang is our hospice nurse practitioner originally from Valdosta Georgia. She has been in the healthcare field since 1998. She has been a practicing nurse practitioner for over 10 years. Alyson enjoys her time at the bedside with the patients and family. Outside of practice she devotes her time to her family, exercise, travel and cooking. Having an exercise science and cardiac rehab background in along with her cardiac open heart experience she has always been interested in health and fitness and prevention. She has practiced yoga for over six years and recently trained for her 200 hour yoga certification with Baptiste methodology. She continues to apply yoga on and off her mat every day for herself and others.
RN, Director of Clinical Services
Ashley Cox, RN, our Director of Clinical Services, grew up in the outskirts of Greer, SC in a little area called Sugar Tit. She attended James F. Byrnes High School in Duncan SC and played trumpet in the Rebel Regiment marching band throughout all of high school. After graduatinghigh school in 2002, she attended Greenville Technical College and studied Surgical Technology and Nursing. She graduated in March of 2009 with an Associates Degree as a registered nurse.After graduating she began her nursing career in long-term care and advanced into nurse management. In August of 2015 she graduated the University of South Carolina Upstate with a Bachelor’s degree in nursing. Ashley’s passion is caring for those who are in need. She learned this from an early age and accredits this to having a loving family.
Ashley is married to Scott Cox and they have a daughter Abigail. In her spare time, she loves spending time with her family, helping at her church, watching Abigail play softball, reading and watching classic movies.