- At Wren Hospice our patients and the families of our patients always come first.
- Admission can happen within two hours of the doctor’s order, receipt of required paperwork and with patient/family consent.
- Wren Hospice does not require that our patients sign a DNR. We always honor patient choice.
- Our nurses are on call and always available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
- We always communicate with the physician and family regarding the patient’s progress of care in the manner they choose.
- We provide our families with Respite Care services so that they can go on vacations or simply take time to recharge.
- Our Medical/Director Nurse Practitioner visits patients wherever they live- Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing Facilities, Senior Housing, home, etc.
- As part of hospice care our patients can receive Registered Nursing services, Certified Nursing Assistant services, Social Work services, Spiritual Care Services, needed medical equipment, and supplies at no cost.
- Our services are covered 100% by Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurance plans.
- We always believe in family empowerment through education.
- Our Medical Director or Nurse Practitioner assesses each new patient at admission and validates continued hospice services are needed at each recertification period. In addition, our Nurse Practitioner makes visits to see patients when a medical need arises.
- Bereavement is provided for the surviving family members for no less than 13 months after the patients’ passing.
Meet Our Team
Dr. Steven Freeman
Dr. Steven Freeman serves on our team as the medical director covering the 13 counties we serve. Dr. Freeman is a graduate of Clemson University with a Bachelors Degree in Microbiology as well as a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Microbiology. He later graduated from the University of South Carolina School of Medicine as a Doctor of Medicine (MD). Dr. Freeman practices Internal Medicine in Easley at his practice, Adult Medicine Specialist of Easley. He has served in various roles at Baptist Easley Hospital including Chairman of the Department of Medicine.
He and his wife reside in Easley. In his spare time, Dr. Freeman enjoys photography, astronomy and collecting fountain pens.
Dr. Heather Shippey
Dr. Heather Shippey grew up in Charlotte, NC. She attended Davidson College for her undergraduate studies and earned a degree in history. She attended Medical School at MUSC in Charleston and did her residency training in Internal Medicine in Norfolk, Virginia.
Dr. Shippey received her Hospice and Palliative Care training in Honolulu, Hawaii, where she obtained both inpatient and outpatient experience.
Dr. Shippey is Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Care.
Dr. Heather Shippey has been married for 25 years with two sons, a dog and a cat. Her interest include travel and puzzles.
Alyson Lerstang is our hospice nurse practitioner originally from Valdosta Georgia. She has been in the healthcare field since 1998. She has been a practicing nurse practitioner for over 10 years. Alyson enjoys her time at the bedside with the patients and family. Outside of practice she devotes her time to her family, exercise, travel and cooking. Having an exercise science and cardiac rehab background in along with her cardiac open heart experience she has always been interested in health and fitness and prevention. She has practiced yoga for over six years and recently trained for her 200 hour yoga certification with Baptiste methodology. She continues to apply yoga on and off her mat every day for herself and others.
RN, Director of Clinical Services
I have 15 years of experience in the healthcare industry, starting out as a certified nursing
assistant and working my way through nursing school to become a registered nurse.
It was in the field of hospice care that I found my true calling. As a hospice nurse, I’ve been
privileged to provide compassionate end-of-life care to our patients and their families, offering
them support and comfort during this most challenging time.
In my role as the Director of Clinical Services, I’ve had the opportunity to lead a dedicated team
of healthcare professionals who ensure that every patient’s journey is marked by dignity,
respect, and personalized care. My leadership style is centered on fostering empathy, clear
communication, and a commitment to maintaining the highest standards of care. I believe that
exceptional care comes not only from medical expertise but also from the heart.
Beyond my professional life, I’m also deeply committed to my husband and family. I am a proud
mother of five children. My family is the cornerstone of my life, providing unwavering support
and love that fuels my passion for caregiving. We have a remarkable group of twelve
grandchildren, each bringing their own unique sparkle to our lives. We love spending time with
them and making memories.
Outside of my work commitments, you’ll often find me at the lake. The lake is my retreat, a
place where I can unwind and reflect. Whether it’s enjoying a cup of coffee while the sun rises,
reading a good book while sitting on the pier, or a day filled with laughter and water activities
with family and friends, the lake is where I find peace and inspiration.
When football season rolls around, I put on my Clemson gear. My passion for football runs
deep, and whether I’m rooting for my favorite team or engaging in some friendly rivalry with
family and friends, the energy of the game is infectious.
My life is built around compassion, family, and a love for the simple pleasures in life, and I’m so proud to
bring these values to my role as Director of Clinical Services at Wren Hospice.
Contact Wren Hospice Today!
Greer Office- Phone: (864) 326-3242 || Email: email@example.com || Fax: (864) 326-3433
Anderson Office- Phone: (864) 642-1279 || Email: firstname.lastname@example.org || Fax:(864) 642-0534
Charleston Office- Phone: (843)-380-9060 || Email: email@example.com || Fax: (843)-380-9093
1801 North Main Street
Anderson, SC 29621
Phone: (864) 642-1279
Fax: (864) 642-0534