At Wren Hospice We Are Committed to Our Patients With Life Limiting Illnesses
Patient-Centered. Compassionate. Supportive.
At Wren Hospice we believe that care should be patient-centered. We believe that hospice is a gift and we work around the clock to provide compassionate and attentive care to every person touched by our program.
Wren Hospice provides in-home care and inpatient care for people with life-limiting illnesses. We also strive to provide a positive, supportive environment for their families as well. We believe this time in the life of a family can be an opportunity for spiritual and emotional healing.
- At Wren Hospice our patients and the families of our patients always come first.
- We will admit patients within two hours of the doctor’s orders with patient and family consents.
- Our Medical Director assesses each new patient at admission and at each recertification period.
- Wren Hospice has daily contact with our patients.
- Our nurses are on call and available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
- We communicate with the physician and family regarding the patient’s progress of care in the manner they choose.
- We provide our families with Respite Care services so that they can go on vacations or simply take time to recharge.
- We follow our families for 13 months after the loss of their loved ones, offering letters of support, phone calls or visits. Our Spiritual Care Coordinator is always available.
- Our medical director makes house calls instead of a nurse practioner. Both of our medical directors are hospice and palliative care certified.
- Dedicated Palliative Care Staff is available to ensure proper treatment of pain and symptom management, therefore decreasing patient and caregiver stress.
- Our patients with nursing services, certified nurse’s aides, medical equipment, supplies and most medicines related to their life limiting diagnosis.
- Our services are covered 100% by Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurance plans. Services are also provided to indigent patients.
- We believe in family empowerment through education.
- Wren Hospice does not require that our patients sign a DNR. We honor patient choice.
- Spiritual care is provided for our patients and families through our chaplain from time of admission to the patients’ passing.
- Bereavement is provided for the surviving families for no less than 13 months after the patients’ passing.
Meet Our Team
Dr. Heather Shippey
Dr. Heather Shippey grew up in Charlotte, NC. She attended Davidson College for her undergraduate studies and earned a degree in history. She attended Medical School at MUSC in Charleston and did her residency training in Internal Medicine in Norfolk, Virginia.
Dr. Shippey received her Hospice and Palliative Care training in Honolulu, Hawaii, where she obtained both inpatient and outpatient experience.
Dr. Shippey is Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Care.
Dr. Heather Shippey has been married for 25 years with two sons, a dog and a cat. Her interest include travel and puzzles.
As a South Carolina native, Heather was born in Anderson and later during high school she moved to Greenwood. She graduated from Greenwood High School in 1995 then she attended and graduated from Lander University for her undergraduate in Health Care Administration in 1999. After college, she moved to Greenville and began her career as a Nursing Home Administrator which is where she fueled my love and desire to care for seniors. In 2009, she received my Masters in Business Administration from North Greenville University. She believes that it is has been her calling to serve seniors in a variety of capacities including long term care, rehabilitation services and now Hospice care.
Heather is married to Edward Burton, also a South Carolina native, and they have two boys, Ethan and Olin. In their free time, they enjoy exploring the outdoors, spending time with family and discovering all that Greenville/Greer have to offer.
Director of Business Development
Courtney is an Upstate of South Carolina native. She received her nursing degree from Piedmont Technical College in Greenwood South Carolina. During her tenure in healthcare, she has worked in various settings including: hospital (Emergency Room, Telemetry, and Renal/Pulmonary Units), skilled nursing, and currently hospice. Her experience in these settings have provided her with a wide knowledge base to be successful as the Director of Business Development for over five years. She has an innate ability to work collectively with diverse healthcare cultures and continue to ensure that her patients always have their needs met. She has been a patient advocate in her previous roles for many years. Wren Hospice allows her to focus even more on educating our community about hospice services and how they can benefit our patients and their families.
Courtney is married to Will and together they have a daughter, Emma Grace. Outside of work she enjoys spending time with her family and traveling. Their hobbies include most things that are outdoors such as camping, hiking, or spending time at the lake.
Community Relations Director
Kelly passionately understands the hospice heart. She has dedicated her time and talent to helping others. Kelly is a cancer survivor who shares her passion for life with all she meets. Her primary focus at Wren Hospice is to educate the community on the benefits of early referral and the true hospice philosophy.
Kelly has over 20 years’ experience cultivating relationships of trust through marketing.
She a S.C. native who was born and raised in Greer. She is the mother of two and a Mimi to a new grandchild.